|Magdalene College was founded in 1428 as a Benedictine hostel,|
in time coming to be known as Buckingham College, before being
refounded in 1542 as the College of St Mary Magdalene
|Although there are no ruins to be seen on Castle Hill, this grassy |
mound is of great importance in the history of Cambridge.
This was the site of the Roman town of Duroliponte, originally
an Iron Age hill fort.
Well worth the climb to the top of the Castle Mound - expansive
views over the roof tops of the town and surrounding countryside.
|Trinity College was founded by Henry VIII in 1546, combining|
Michaelhouse and King’s Hall. Michaelhouse had existed since
King’s Hall had been established by Edward II in 1317 and
refounded by Edward III in 1337. Trinity’s flag, flown on
special occasions, has as its design the royal standard of
|Taking part in the walk were:|
Ken Livermore C 386
Dave Ainsworth C 540 and Sandra
Chris Flint C 849
Ron Wallwork C 893 and wife Joan
Kathy Crilley C 933
Sue Clements C 950
Karsten Koehler C 1059
Steve Kemp C 1075 and John
John Borgars C 1167 and wife Ruth