|Magdalene College was founded in 1428 as a Benedictine hostel,
in time coming to be known as Buckingham College, before being
refounded in 1542 as the College of St Mary Magdalene
|Although there are no ruins to be seen on Castle Hill, this grassy
mound is of great importance in the history of Cambridge.
This was the site of the Roman town of Duroliponte, originally
an Iron Age hill fort.
Well worth the climb to the top of the Castle Mound – expansive
views over the roof tops of the town and surrounding countryside.
|Trinity College was founded by Henry VIII in 1546, combining
Michaelhouse and King’s Hall. Michaelhouse had existed since
King’s Hall had been established by Edward II in 1317 and
refounded by Edward III in 1337. Trinity’s flag, flown on
special occasions, has as its design the royal standard of
|Taking part in the walk were:
Ken Livermore C 386
Dave Ainsworth C 540 and Sandra
Chris Flint C 849
Ron Wallwork C 893 and wife Joan
Kathy Crilley C 933
Sue Clements C 950
Karsten Koehler C 1059
Steve Kemp C 1075 and John
John Borgars C 1167 and wife Ruth
https://centurions1911.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/centurion-logo_wfxnfd1a.gif 0 0 Cent2020 https://centurions1911.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/centurion-logo_wfxnfd1a.gif Cent20202017-09-08 13:38:492020-09-08 13:39:142017 Historic Cambridge
Start time 10:30 Cambridge Railway station
Finish: Cambridge Railway station about 4.30pm
The route today consisted of two loops:
Loop 1: From the railway station, our route went anti-clockwise via Castle Street to Kings Parade near Market Hill.
Loop 2: Walking anti-clockwise to Lammas Land, then on to Trumpington Road and returning to Market Hill.
The route did indeed include (as promised) picturesque views of the river, some of the colleges including the opportunity to walk round one of the gardens, along the Backs to see the spectacular view of King’s College Chapel, through Sheep’s Coe Fen and end at the Sunday market.
Again (as promised!) we had plenty of time to gaze at other sights along the way and learn some interesting facts about Cambridge.
Being a Bank Holiday Sunday along with the promise of good Spring weather, Cambridge was a pretty crowded place. But, thankfully, our route seemed to avoid most of the tourists. We did manage to see the garden of Magdalene College as we pretended not to be a group. (Groups aren’t welcome…..)
From there, up Castle Hill and by Shire Hall climbed up to the top of Castle Mound (see Team Photos below). Then it was back down to the City centre, over the River Cam stopping off at Trinity College. Now, as luck would have it, we had Ruth Borgars with us who is a member of Trinity College and so we manage to gain entrance to the College and take a look at the courtyards (see photos below). Then winding our way throyugh some of the narrow streets, we stopped for an al fresco lunch outside the famous Kings College.
Lunch over, on we went through Lamas Land and headed back into the City Centre passing the Botanical Gardens and the famous Fitzwilliam Museum on the way..
Inevitably, there was a parting of ways as some of us went to catch buses and trains. Chris went off to get the bus back to Trumpington Park & Ride and believe it or not, as we were making our way down Trumpington Street – there he was on the bus!!! Much shouting, waving and jumping up and down, but he just ignored us!! Karsten then made his way home as did Ron, Joan, Ken and myself heading back to the station. So a total of six DNFs!!!
Many thanks to Sue who organised the walk (and weather) for us.
Report by Kathy Crilley